Homemade gravy

Zara

Someone posted in a previous thread wanting to know how to make homemade gravy and I think that is a very good question. A lot of people don't know how to make it so I will share with you my best way to make it!

In a pan heat on medium some fat drippings from the meat you cooked. I like to use half drippings and half butter. Mix into it an equal part of flour. So if you have four ounces of fat then you need four ounces of flour. This is called a roux. Stir and cook the roux for 5-10 minutes adding a little bit of fat to make sure that the roux does not turn completely solid. The roux will be very thick and not at all like gravy. You want to cook it so that it takes the raw flavor out of the flour. After you have cooked the roux, then add some meat broth... if you want to make a cream sauce instead of gravy then you can add milk or cream. Just stir and add your liquid until it is at the consistency you want. Season with salt and pepper.

I actually make gravy a different way. Well since the time that my oven had broken and I had no choice but to boil the chicken pieces in a pot, with a minimum amount of water. I also added some garlic and onion in the water to give the chicken and gravy extra taste.
Once the chicken was cooked i let the remaining water to simmer and I added some cornflour (thicking agent) to it and added salt and pepper. Voila chicken gravy.