Too Many Toys

I think it's really bad for a child to be given too many toys. This teaches them to not appreciate the toys they have. I think it's a good idea to rotate a child's toys and then once a year, have the child pick out toys that they would like to donate. A great time to do this is around Christmas, because there are a lot of random stores accepting donations. My mom used to do this with my little brother and I think it was a fantastic idea!

Lissy

Tell me about it... My daughter is not even born yet, and people have already started giving her toys. I will not allow over-abundance, period. You are absolutely right - when something is given for free and in plentiful supply, it is not appreciated. The child does not know the value of toys, does not learn that they cost money, which is not easy to earn.

Tell me about it... My daughter is not even born yet, and people have already started giving her toys. I will not allow over-abundance, period. You are absolutely right - when something is given for free and in plentiful supply, it is not appreciated. The child does not know the value of toys, does not learn that they cost money, which is not easy to earn.
Maybe you should hide some of the toys for later, and kinda switch between em so your baby doesn't get bored?:)

Lissy

Yes, that's what I will do. She will be given more toys as she grows, not everything at once.

I have also set a limit on dolls: I've told my husband that there will be no more than three in the house. :)

I usually give educational toys to my kid. The toy will depends on how old he is and what is his interest. Avoid giving them stuffs that will make them violent, like guns and robots.

I usually give educational toys to my kid. The toy will depends on how old he is and what is his interest. Avoid giving them stuffs that will make them violent, like guns and robots.
That's true, I think giving them guns and things like that isn't promoting good behavior. I mean, I'm sure it's fine but still.. why do that? Let them be around happy stuff until they're older, cuz they're gunna have to deal with a lot during high school